Sunday, April 10

Living Room Redo

     So you've seen the dining room, kitchen, and den, but there are a few other makeovers that I haven't shown you just yet.  The next room we made over after the kitchen was the living room.  I couldn't wait to put some paint up after seeing the gold-ish/orange-ish walls.  I'm sure there are lots of places where that color might work, but next to the dark brown beams, light brick of the fireplace, and the light fireplace mantle, not so much.   The room needed to be unified.  After much deliberation, we chose a Behr color called Harvest Brown (can you tell we are Home Depot people?).  I was a little nervous about this color after the snaffu in the den with a beige color.  However, this color is gorgeous.  It does come across as a beige/brown/tan neutral at some times during the day, but it also has a hint of green in some lights, which was perfect because we wanted to bring in some blue and green accent colors.  Here are some before pictures:




     This room was the hardest to paint by far (except for maybe the kitchen cabinets) because I couldn't just use my handy step ladder that I usually use; I actually had to bring in a real ladder to get the higher parts of the wall.  Along with painting the walls, we also removed, sanded, and painted the baseboards, painted the doors, and replaced all light switches, outlets, and all covers (we even added one to the cable line since there wasn't one). We painted this room around Christmas time, so we also picked up a few finds on Black Friday.  The curtains as well as the painting are from J.C. Penney, which had huge Black Friday discounts in that department.  A few months later, we found out that there was a Habitat for Humanity Restore location only about 30 minutes away from us! While that's a post on its own, we did find a chandelier (brand new!) for sale there that fit our room perfectly.  So my hubby replaced the old rickety fan that was there (and which, frankly, scared me to use because I thought it might fall of off the ceiling!) with the new chandelier in one afternoon.  Next on the list was to sand, stain, and seal the mantle.  Thankfully, the hubby took over that job too.  It took a while to do it correctly, but it was worth it because it looks amazing! 

     First, he sanded the entire mantle until all the finish was gone.  (We left it attached to the mantle because of the way it was put up there - not easily removed or replaced).


     Then, he stained it with an ebony stain (we wanted a super dark brown, almost black).


Finally, the longest part of the process was to seal the wood, which involves lots of wait time.

 (You can see in these photos that we covered the brick with plastic drop cloth just in case of spills)


(There's my handy step ladder that I usually use to paint all the walls and trim).


     Many, many months later, (okay, okay, a year later) we purchased two club chairs from World Market the day before Black Friday (my favorite shopping day of the year!).  It ended up being a better deal the day before because they were on sale plus they were offering a 25% off coupon for all furniture that day.  The pillows come from TJ Maxx and Hobby Lobby (you have to love the 50% off sales at Hobby Lobby!), which bring in the blue and green I discussed earlier in this post (which also shows up in the curtain).

     A few other additions in between the two Black Friday shopping days were a new-to-us fireplace screen and tool set which we grabbed at a garage sale for only $30 for everything.  There was a little bit of melted wax on the screen itself, which we just melted off before we cleaned the entire thing and brought it in to the house.  We like this screen much better than the gold one that was on the fireplace when we moved in. (It was donated to a family member for their fireplace).  Whew, I think I've covered everything we've done in this room up to this point.  In the end, this is where our living room stands now:





     Oh, and Parker's bed stays in the living room too.  It's where we usually find him when we get home. :)
So what good deals have you found lately?  Any garage sale finds? Craigslist? Black Friday? Habitat for Humanity Restore?  Where do you shop when you need to get a good price on something for your home?





5 comments:

  1. Stopping by from Houseography!! Your changes are looking great!!

    I'm a Salvation Army shopper!! Buying brand new furniture is boring. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your fireplace and those ceilings!! What a great room. Thanks so much for linking up and I hope you'll come back again next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. @DecorandtheDog - Thanks for stopping by! I'll have to add Salvation Army to my list of places to find great deals; I've never checked it out before. I always love a great piece that you can customize yourself.

    @Melissa - Thanks so much! This is the first time I've participated in a link party, and I have to say that it's been a success.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here from Houseography - your room looks so nice, we had similar beams and ended up painting them out white. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Decorating the Ville - Thanks for visiting! I went to your blog to check out your beams and I love the look! It almost makes me want to paint ours white, but unfortunately we have popcorn ceilings so I don't think it would turn out quite the same. Great job on the room!

    ReplyDelete