Tuesday, March 8

Sectional Set-Up

So we visited a few more furniture stores yesterday and decided that there weren't many sectionals that we liked (or if we kinda liked it, there was no white, or no leather available).  We also found ourselves continuing to compare it to the Ikea Karlstad in white leather.  Sooo... we decided to buy it and pick it up all in one day!  That wouldn't be such an extraordinary event for one day except for the fact that Ikea is four hours away from us!  We woke up bright and early this morning and left around 6AM because the store opens at 10AM.  We were there for about 45 minutes to an hour and left the store at 11AM, putting us back home around 3PM.  Whew!  Did I mention it rained and rained and rained today?  Thankfully Ikea packages the sofa parts in a cardboard box wrapped in plastic, so we didn't even need the tarp we brought with us.  Yay!


We knew we'd have to put it all together, but it actually wasn't so bad since the leather versions come with the leather already attached (the fabric versions require you to put the slipcover on each part of the sofa before you put it all together).  I tried to remember to take a few shots during the process, but I'm usually more of a before and after person, so there aren't many.  Scroll down to see the process and the finished project.  We do realize that the choice is one of those "you either love it or hate it" kind of things, but we love it!  It was a bit of a stretch out of our comfort zone, but sometimes it's good to mix things up.
Here's what it all looked like taken out of the boxes:

(The Chaise Attachment)
(The Karlstad Sofa)

First, the legs had to be attached, then (after removing the arm) the chaise had to be attached to the sofa:



(Aww, look my handy hubby)

Then the arm had to be attached to the chaise.  It did not take us long at all, which was the best part because after driving for so long, we were ready to be home and to relax on our new sectional! :)


Ta-da! Finished project:





We definitely needed some white to brighten up the room since the walls and the floor are dark and we think this does it.  So what do you think?


10 comments:

  1. I love it! Looks great! Yeah kids and white are not ideal, but ya'll will figure it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great sofa!! Thanks for linking up to my house tour party!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog. Thanks for posting this! We are looking to buy a Karlstad leather sectional like this, but in black.

    How's it holding up?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ours is holding up great! We even have a 1 year old son running around the house with our dog and the sofa has survived both! Haha. We wipe it down every once in a while and it looks great. No stains, no rips, not "worn" or discolored areas. I highly recommend it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brandi, I found this based on your Pinterest post and I'm dying for an update. Would you mind sharing if your now-three-ish kid and older dog have made a dent on your beautiful Karlstad? My husband and I have also been continually comparing sofas and we keep coming back to this one but I don't wanna make a totally impractical choice. :) I'd also love to know if the seating is still nice and firm and comfy.

    Thank you so much; this looks fantastic and I bet you've made lots of little homey changes since you first posted this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My son is now 17 months old, but he is running around, jumping on things (like the couch), etc. and it is still holding up very well. The seating is still nice and firm and the leather is still in great condition too. I love that I can wipe it down when needed (fabric is much harder to clean if it all possible). I've had a few people warn me about how my son will probably destroy the couch with things like pens/markers/crayons and even scissors, but my response has always been that he could do the same with a dark-colored couch and most-definitely with a fabric couch! So far, no stray marks, discolorations, stains, rips, tears, etc., and we do use this room. It is our family room, not a formal living room, so I highly recommend this sofa! Good luck with the decision.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Brandi! I blogged at great length about this sofa but we still haven't pulled the trigger; I'm really happy to hear your updated results. Cheers!

      Delete
  7. We're thinking about buying this sofa. Do you mind if I ask if it's still in great condition? We have 2 young children and we're worried about stains. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, it's still holding up well. Stains have not been an issue and lots of things have been spilled on it. We just quickly wipe up spills and it hasn't been an issue. Our son is now 2 and we also have a cairn terrier that is allowed on the sofa.

    ReplyDelete